Greensborough Historical Society

The European settlement of Greensborough was from 1839 onward and has an abundance of history, much of which hasn’t been told. The Society’s aim is to collect, catalogue, preserve and share the history and heritage of Greensborough and its environs from the earliest records to the present time. Whilst called Greensborough Historical Society, its coverage is not limited to that area alone and includes Greensborough, Watsonia, Macleod, Montmorency, Briar Hill, St Helena, Lower Plenty and Bundoora.

More about us >> Current Projects >>

Recent Articles

  • Main Street Plaques

    By Sue Ballantyne, July 2018

    In June 2018, the Greensborough Historical Society placed 13 historical signs in Stage One of the Main Street Plaques Project.

    Plan of Plaques in Main and Grimshaw Streets Greensborough
    Plaque 1 - Huitt's Tea Rooms
    Plaque 2 - Original Greensborough Hotel
    Plaque 3 - Medhurst's Shop
    Plaque 4 - Methodist Church
    Plaque 5 - Main Street 1923
    Plaque 6 - Ashril Theatre
    Plaque 7 - Main Street Greensborough
    Plaque 8 - Commercial Bank
    Plaque 9 - Farmer's Arms Hotel
    Plaque 10 - Stubley Motors
    Plaque 11 - Marble Hall
    Plaque 12 - Quirk's Tailor and Tea Rooms
    Plaque 13 - Swimming Pool on the Plenty River

    Even before the Greensborough Historical Society was formed in 2010, GHS President Noel Withers had thought that historical plaques in Main Street and Grimshaw Street would help people be aware of and understand the history of the area. Several members worked on the “Main Street Plaques Project” over the following years and identified about 20 possible sites for inclusion in the project. Sub-committee members included Chris Foster, Jasmine Burge, Sue Ballantyne, Dennis Ward and Noel Withers. In 2015, the Society was successful in applying for a Greensborough RSL/Banyule Grant of $10,000 to implement stage one of the Main Street Plaques Project. Noel has driven the Project since then. The next few years involved meeting with business owners to gain permission to attach the plaques to their premises; designing and producing the plaques – many different ideas were discussed and the final format decided upon. In June 2018, stage one was completed when 13 plaques were installed from the corner of Grimshaw and Henry Streets, down Grimshaw and left into Main Street. The final plaque in this stage is located on the bridge over the Plenty River. Greensborough Historical Society gratefully acknowledges the financial support of the Greensborough RSL and Banyule Council. Thanks must also go to Noella Jacobs of the Greensborough Chamber of Commerce for her support in liaising with local business owners. Thanks also to GHS Committee and members who have supported and encouraged Noel in the pursuit of this project. Further information on each site can be found on the GHS website. Go to the Articles tab and search for “Main Street Plaques Project”, or the name of the site in which you are interested: 1. Huitt’s Tea Rooms 2. Original Greensborough Hotel 3. Medhurst’s Shop 4. Methodist Church 5. Main Street 1923 6. Ashril Theatre 7. Main Street 8. Commercial Bank 9. Farmer’s Arms Hotel 10. Stubley Motors 11. Marble Hall 12. Quirk’s Tailor and Tea Rooms 13. Swimming Pool on the Plenty River

  • GHS Book Collection

    By Peter Simmenauer, July 2018

    GREENSBOROUGH HISTORICAL SOCIETY INC. LIBRARY BOOKS as at 20 April 2017 Most books listed below can be borrowed by members, except those marked NFL (not for loan); periodical issues are NFL but may be viewed at the Resource Centre.

    LOCAL HISTORY Shelf # Title 1121 Alan Sartori Humour, by Alan Sartori. The Author, 1996. 916 Arthur’s Creek Mechanics’ Institute, by Bruce G. Draper. Arthur’s Creek Mechanics Institute, 2012. 937 As I Recall: a Collection of Stories – Country to Suburbia. Greensborough Historical Society 2013. 2735 Ballarat and western goldfields sketchbook, drawings by Unk White, text by John Bechervaise. Rigby, 1970. 2163/4, 67/68 Banyule Heritage Places Study: V.2 pt.2 Building Citations L-Z; v.3 Landscape citations; v.4 Heritage areas; v.5 Summary of recommendations and schedule to the heritage overlay, by Allom Lovell & Assoc. with John Patrick P/L, 1999. 195 Beautiful Banyule: a Register of our City’s Natural Assets, by Carol Toomey. Warringal Conservation Society, 1999. 2452 Bendigo Historic Buildings, by Mike Butcher and Gill Flanders. National Trust of Australia (Vic), 1987. 1180 Bendigo, its environs: the way it was, v.3, by Ken Arnold. Crown Castleton, 2012. 2756 The Birth of Melbourne, ed. By Tim Flannery. Text, 2002. 1049 Boards Beds and Buildings: the History and Development of the Diamond Valley Community Hospital Greensborough, 1941-1971, by Donald Cordner, 1971. Diamond Valley Community Hospital, 1971. 2734 Carlton & Parkville sketchbook, drawings by Bill Beasley, text by Brian McKinlay. Rigby, 1976. 1184 Celebrating God’s Love Together: this is your life & articles from Church Life 1985-2013, comp. by Bryan Henderson. Bryan Henderson, 2014. 2742 Cemeteries: our heritage, ed. By Celestina Sagazio. National Trust of Australia (Victoria), 1992. 2450 Centenary history: Church of Saint John, Sorrento. National Trust, 1972. 842 A Century of Compassion: a History of the Austin Hospital, by E. W. Gault and Alan Lucas. Macmillan, 1982. 329 The Club in the Park: an illustrated Account of Montmorency RSL Club Inc. 1946-2003, by Max Dimmack. Benchmark Pubs., 2004. 930 A Community Portrait: Lifetimes in the City of Whittlesea, by Robert Pascoe. City of Whittlesea, 2001. 514/15 Coranderrk database, comp. by Mick Woiwood. Tarcoola Press, 2012.+ 644 Diamond Valley Sketchbook, drawings by Graham Hawley, text by Brian McKinlay. Rigby, 1973. 028 The Diamond Valley Story, by Dianne H. Edwards. Shire of Diamond Valley, 1979 712 Down ‘Borough and other Stories, by Kay Arthur. Barrow Creek Books and Music, 1982 248 Eltham District Historical Society Newsletter. 2011- [Periodical] 2318 Eltham Inhabitants: for most, the serious part. Church in Community 1850-2000, by Kenneth Eric Eckersall. Eltham- Montmorency Uniting Church, 2000. 204 Eltham Shire: Historical buildings, People and Places. Words Marguerite Marshall, Photographs Ron Grant. Leader Associated Newspapers, 1983. 3017 Eureka reminiscences, ed. by Ballarat Heritage Services. Ballarat Heritage Services, 1998. 2779 Fine spirit and pluck: World War One stories from Banyule, Nillumbik and Whittlesea, by Yarra Plenty Regional Library. Yarra Plenty Press, 2016. 198 First years at Port Phillip, by Robert Douglass Boys. Robertson & Mullens, 1935. 3053 The Future growth of Melbourne. MMBW, 1967 846 Gendarme, the police horse, by John Richardson, photography Ian Brown. Lansdowne Pr. 1971. 1080 Glimpses of the past: Mont Park, Larundel, Plenty, by Iliya Bircanin and Alex Short. The Authors, 1995. 2229 Golden days on the Caledonian diggings: the diaries of Thomas Young. Andrew Ross Museum, 2005. 893 Grave Concerns. Queenstown Cemetery, 2015- 943 Green and Growing 150 Years: Historical Snapshots of All Saints’ Anglican Church Greensborough. All Saints’ Anglican Church, 2005. 592 Greensborough and Greenhills, words by Irene Turvey, drawings by Ron Reynolds. Cypress Books, 1973. 048 Greensborough Primary School No. 2062, 1878-1980, Centenary History, written by Val Carlson et al. Greensborough Primary School, 1980? 2738 Greensborough RSL Sub branch: a proud history. Greensborough RSL, 2015 2449 The Happy Hermits & Diary of a Trip to Evelyn. Mount Evelyn History Group, 2013. 1120 Harry Downie Down Under: the Poems and Thoughts of Harry Downie. The Author, 1994. 244 Heidelberg Conservation Study Pt.1: Heidelberg Historic Buildings & Areas Assessment, by Graeme Butler. City of Heidelberg, 1985. 243 Heidelberg Conservation Study Pt. 2: Historic Riverland Landscape Assessment, by Loder & Bayly Marilyn McBriar. Rev. ed. City of Heidelberg, 1987. 095 Heidelberg Historian. Heidelberg Historical Society, 2005- [Periodical] 027 Heidelberg Since 1836: a Pictorial History. Ed. By Cyril Cummins. Heidelberg Historical Society, 1st ed 1971 & 2nd ed. 1982. 894 The Herald Road Guide. Colourgravure Pubs., 1950s? 110 Heritage Information Pack, by Banyule City Council. Banyule City Council, 2011. 200 Historic buildings of Victoria, ed. By David Saunders. Jacaranda Pr., 1966. 2759 Historical records of Victoria v.3: The Early development of Melbourne, 1836-1839. Govt. Pr., 1984. 481 A History: the Tin Shed and Beyond. Researched and written by Shirley Hardy-Rix. Watsonia RSL Sub-branch, 1995. 645 In the Beginning There was Only the Land, by Len Kenna. Lions Club of Bundoora, 1988. 281 Insistent Voices: the story of the Diamond Valley Learning Centre, by Michele Lonsdale. Diamond Valley learning Centre, 1993. 2451 Kew’s Civic Century, by W. D. Vaughan. Kew City Council, 1960. 1182 Lemons, Lace & Apron Strings: a Family Life, by Florence Henderson (Hayes). Ian Henderson, 2011. 149 The Life and Experience of an Immigrant, by Otto Rupp. 2nd ed. Yarrambat Historical Society, 1999. 197 Melbourne: John Batman’s village, by Agnes Paton Bell. Cassell. 1965. 851 Melbourne, then & now, by Heather Chapman & Judith Stillman. Thunder Bay Pr., 2005. 2344 Montmorency: the farm on the Plenty, by Maureen Jones. A. & M. Jones, 2015. 1174 Murrundindi, a True Story, re-told by Karen Brunskill and M. G. Dell. Loranda Publishing, 2001 249 Nillumbik Custodian. Nillumbik Historical Society, 1976- [Periodical] 1050 Nillumbik, now and then: Eltham and beyond, by Marguerite Masrshall. the Author 2002. 2921 … the Old borough was good enough: the Greensborough Sunday School Empire Honour Roll 1914-1918… by Bryan Henderson. The Author, 2016. 2737 Old Victorian country pubs sketchbook, drawings by Bill Beasley, text by John Bechervaise. Rigby, 1976. 146 Our First 50 Years, 1955-2005. St. Mary’s Parish Greensborough, 2005? 223 Paradise lost: on and around the Great Moorool, by Mick Woiwood. Tarcoola Press, 2015. 646 The Plenty: a Centenary History of the Whittlesea Shire, by J. W. Payne. Lowden Pub. Co., 1975 097 Plenty News and Views. Plenty Historical Society, 2010- [Periodical] 2165 Plenty River Subcatchment Local Action Program, developed by the Plenty River Subcatchment Working Group. Yarra Care, 1999. 1122 Plenty River Waterway Management Activity Plan, prep. For Melbourne Water by Thompson Berrill Landscape Design Pty Ltd, 2000. Thompson Berrill, 2000. 2328 The Plenty Valley corridor: the archaeological survey of aboriginal sites, by Isabel Ellender. Victorian Archaeological Survey, 1989. 2745 The Quiet hills, by J. W. Payne. N.d. 1149 The Silver Poplar, by Edmond Smith. Ark House Pr., 2009. 2448 Talking Trams, present, past and future, by Jan-Werner Hente. Bendigo Trust, 1973. 2757 Templestowe: a folk history, by Hazel Poulter. Ed. By Jim Poulter. Jim Poulter, 1985. 635 The Third Fleet Convicts: an alphabetical listing of names, giving place and date of conviction, length of sentence and ship of transportation, by R. J. Ryan. Horwitz Grahame, 1983. 091 The Tower of Remembrance and War Memorial Park on Garden Hill at Kangaroo Ground, Victoria, 1919-2010. Eltham District Historical Society Inc., 2010? 196 Victorian Historical Journal. Royal Historical Society of Victoria, 2009- [Periodical] 103 The Victorians: Arriving, by Richard Broome. Fairfax, Syme & Weldon Assoc., 1984.\ 104 The Victorians: Settling, by Tony Dingle. Fairfax, Syme & Weldon Assoc., 1984. 105 The Victorians: Making their mark, by Susan Priestley. Fairfax, Syme & Weldon, 1984. 2746 Walter Withers: the forgotten manuscripts, comp. by Andrew Mackenzie. Mannagum Press, 1987. 481 Watsonia RSL Sub-Branch, a History: the Tin Shed and Beyond. Watsonia RSL Sub-branch, 1995. 330 We Will Remember Them: an illustrated history of Eltham RSL Sub-Branch Inc., 1919-2001, by Max Dimmack. Benchmark Pubs., 2002. 1014 Westgarthtown: a History & Guide. Friends of Westgarthtown 2004. 099 Whittlesea Historical Society Newsletter. 2005- [Periodical] 2293 William Barak: Bridge Builder of the Kulin. Aboriginal Affairs Victoria, 2006. 1181 Wrath of the Myndie [based on The Last Cry], by Mick Woiwood. The Author?, 2014. AUSTRALIAN HISTORY Shelf # Title 404 1788: the brutal truth of the First Fleet, by David Hill. Heinemann, 2008. 2748 The 2000 Olympic Torch relay pin album.`Sydney 2000 Olympic Games, 2000. 102 The Australian legend, by Russel Ward. Illus ed, Oxford U. P., 1978. 2754 Australian prime ministers, ed. By Michelle Grattan. New Holland, 2000. 111/112 Australians: our lives through time, ed. By Libby Tudball. 2 v. Rigby, 1988. 153 Australia’s yesterdays: a look at our recent past. 2nd ed. Reader’s Digest , 1974. 108 Before the invasion: aboriginal life to 1788, by Colin Bourke, Colin Johnson and Isobel White. Oxford U. P., 1980. 2749 The Complete blokes & sheds, incl. Stories from the shed, by Mark Thomson. Angus & Robertson, 2002. 634 A Desperate set of villains: the convicts of the Marquis Cornwallis, Ireland to Botany Bay 1796, by Barbara Hall. The Author, 2003. 234 Ghost towns of Australia, by George Farwell. Rev. ie 2nd} ed. Rigby, 1976. 235 A Girl at government house: an English girl’s reminiscences, ed. By Helen Vellacott. First pub. 1932. Viking O’Neil, 1988. 2149 The Great Jubilee book: the story of the Australian nation in pictures, by Julian Feldmann. Colorgravure, 1951. 2755 The Great treasury of Australian folklore: two centuries of tales, epics, ballads, myths & legends, comp. by A. K. Macdougall. Rev. [i.e. 2nd] ed. Five Mile Press, 2002. 2923 Inside History Australia & New Zealand. 2012 – (Incomplete) 106 Life in the cities, by Michael Cannon. (Australia in the Victorian Age: 3). Currey O’Neil, 1983. 107 Life in the country, by Michael Cannon. (Australia in the Victorian Age: 2). Currey O’Neil, 1983. 850 Made in Australia: a sourcebook of all things Australian. Editor: Alexandra Towle. Heinemann, 1986. 125 Our Royal guests. Colorgravure, 1952? 3016 Our side of the country: the story of Victoria, by Geeoffrey Blainey. Methuen Haynes, 1984. 2753 Out of the wilderness: the return of Labor, by C. J. Lloyd & G. S. Reid. Cassell Australia, 1974. 2912 Placenames Australia. 2012- (Incomplete) [Periodical] 2750 The Politics of Australian democracy: fundamentals in dispute, by Hugh V. Emy. 2nd ed. Macmillan, 1978. 124 The Royal tour of Australia in pictures. Colorgravure, 1953? 909 You Can’t Forget Things Like That: Forgotten Australians and Former Child Migrants Oral History Project. National Library of Australia, 201-? 763 A Switch in time: restoring respect to Australian politics. Victorian Women’s Trust, 2012. 2744 A Ton of spirit: Australian centenarians talk with Penny Smith. Allen & Unwin, 1990. 3018 Where the dead men lie: tales of graves, pioneers and old bush pubs, by Bruce Simpson and Ian Tinney. ABC Books, 2003. MILITARY HISTORY Shelf # Title 009 Active Service: with Australia in the Middle East. Australian War Memorial, 1941. 061 Alien Blossom: a Japanese-Australian Love story, by I. R. Carter. Lansdowne Press, 1965. 060 Anzacs at War: the Story of Australian and New Zealand Battles, by John Laffin. Abelard-Schuman, 1965. 3027 The Australian victories in France in 1918, by John Monash. Black Inc. 2015. [First pub. 1920] 011 Barbed wire: memories of Stalag 383, by M. N. McKibbin, illus. by A. G. Dallimore. Staples Press, 1947. 1179 Boy Soldiers of the Great War, by Richard van Emden. Headline, 2005. 1176 Bush Heroes: a People, a Place, a Legend, by Susan Welborn. Original Title: Lords of Death. Fremantle Arts Centre Press, 2002. 1175 Casualty Figures: How Five Men Survived the First World War, by Michele Barrett. Verso, 2007. 2785 Details enclosed, by Ivan Chapman. Panther, 1959. 006 The Division in Battle: Armour. Australian Army, 1965. 2787 Escape to freedom, by T. C. F. Prittie and W. Earle Edwards. Arrow, 195-? 2784 An Escaper’s log, by Duncan Grinnell-Milne. Panther, 1956. 2800 The Escaping club, by A. J. Evans. Panther, 1957. 017 The First and the Last: the German Fighter Force in World War II, by Adolf Galland. Readers Book Club, 1956. 152 Gallipoli, by Alan Moorehead. Four Square Books, 1963. 3025 Gallipoli: untold stories from war correspondent Charles Bean and front-line Anzacs, comp. by Jonathan King and Michael Bowers. Random House Australia, 2008. 209 Gallipoli and the Anzacs. A resource for secondary schools. Text and two DVDs. Australia. Dept. of Veterans’ Affairs, 2010. 012 The Great Escape, by Paul Brickhill. Faber, 1951. 2460 The Great War, by Les Carlyon. Macmillan, 2006. 016 Handbook of Administration in the Royal Australian Air Force. R.A.A.F. 1941. 1178 The Hell They Called High Wood: the Somme 1916, by Terry Norman. First pub. 1984. Leo Cooper, 2003. 865/900 Indigenous Service: investigating the wartime experiences of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people from the First World War to the Present. A resource for primary [and] secondary schools. Text and two DVDs. Australia. Dept. of Veterans’ Affairs/ Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne, 2013. 2 vols. 003 Infantry Training (4-Company Organization), by General Staff, War Office. HMSO, 1914 208 Investigating Gallipoli. A resource for primary schools. Text and two DVDs. Australia. Dept. of Veterans’ Affairs, 2010. 013 The Latter Days at Colditz, by P. R. Reid. Rev. ed. Pan Books, 1955. 015 Manual for Medical and Dental Officers of the Royal Air Force. 3rd ed. HMSO, 1938. 004 Manual of Field Engineering, 1911, by General Staff, War Office. HMSO, repr. 1914. 2928 Men from the river bends: soldiers from Cobram… by Stephen Brooks and Maree Hogan. Cobram Barooga RSL Sub Branch, 2010c. 019 Middle East 1940-1942: a study in air power, by Philip Guedalla. Hodder & Stoughton, 1944. 005 Military Engineering. Vol. VIII Transportation, Pt. VI Port operating and maintenance, Supplement No.1 Military stevedoring. War Office, 1949. 002 Musketry Regulations, Pt.II: Rifle Ranges and Musketry Appliances, 1910. HMSO, Repr. 1914. 2783 The Naked island, by Russell Braddon. Pan, 1955. 2743 The names on the Mornington Honour Roll 1914-1918: who were they? By Val Wilson. Mornington and District Historical Society, 2015. 007 Notes on Military Sanitation, by Lt. Col. H. P. G. Elkington. St. John Ambulance Association, n.d. 148 Official History of Australia in the War 0f 1914-18, by C. E. W. Bean. 12 vols. Angus & Robertson, 1938. NFL 2223 Our Liverpool Boys. Liverpool City Council, n.d. 2780 Reach for the sky: the story of Douglas Bader. Fontana, 1957. 994 Remember them: a guide to Victoria’s wartime heritage, written and photographed by Garrie Hutchinson. Hardie Grant Books, 2009. 2782 The Password is courage, by John Castle. Corgi, 1956. 021 RAAF Log. Prep. By R.A.A.F. Directorate of Public Relations. Australian War Memorial, 1943. 010 The Rats remain: Tobruk Siege 1941, by John Cumpston. Grayflower productions 1966. 014 Royal Air Force Pocket Book. 3rd ed. Air Ministry, 1937 008 Royal Army Medical Corps Training 1911, by War Office. HMSO, 1911. 3026 Sacred places: war memorials in the Australian landscape, by K. S. Inglis, assisted by Jan Brazier. Miegunyah Press, 1999. 3024 Soldier boy: the true story of Jim Martin, the youngest Anzac, by Anthony Hill. Penguin, 2001. 020 These Eagles: story of the R.A.A.F at war. Prep. By R.A.A.F. Directorate of Public Relations. Australian War Memorial, 1942. 2365 Trentham at War: Boer War, World War 1, World War 2, by Ina Betrand and Jan Robertson. Trentham & District Historical Society Inc., 2012. 1173 Valuing our veterans: Gathering Australia’s War Memories. Australia. Dept. of Veterans’ Affairs, 2000? 2138 A Very Long War: the Families who waited., by Margaret Reeson. Melbourne U.P., 2000. 3022 The Vietnam years: from the jungle to the Australian suburbs, by Michael Caulfield. Hachette, 2007. 022 Victory Roll: the Royal Australian Air Force in its Sixth Year of War. Prep. By the R.A.A.F. Directorate of Public Relations. Australian War Memorial, 1945. 2758 The War diaries of Weary Dunlop: Java and the Burma-Thailand Railway 1942-1945. Nelson, 1986. 210 War memorials of Victoria: a pictorial record, comp. by Max Parsons and Syd Trigellis-Smith. RSL Victorian Branch, 1994. 1177 The Western Front, by Richard Holmes. BBC, 1999. 2781 The White rabbit, by Bruce Marshall. Pan, 1954. 2786 Wind in the wires, by Duncan Grinnell-Milne. Panther, 1957. 018 Wing Leader, by ‘Johnnie’ Johnson. Reprint Society, 1958. 3023 World War I, by Cindy Dowling. Exisle, 2001. FAMILY HISTORY Shelf # Title 2925 1881 British Census and National Index. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 1999. 2729 Cemeteries in Australia: a register of transcripts, ed. by Faye M. Young. Australasian Federation of Family History Organisations, 1985. 145 Cornwall Record Office: a brief guide to sources. 2nd. Ed. 1985 2929 Family and local history sources in the Sydney area, comp. and ed. By Jennie Fairs. Meadley Family History Services, 1995. 2968 Family history for beginners and beyond, ed. By Eunice Fletcher. Heraldry & Genealogy Society of Canberra, 2004. 236 Family memories, a guide to reminiscing, by Bob Price. Rev. ed. State Library of NSW Press, 1992. 398 Federation of Family History Societies information leaflet. FFHS, 2000? 2923 Finding your Irish ancestors, by Brian Mitchell. Clearfield, 2001. 2924 First steps in family history, guided by Eve McLaughlin. 5th ed. Countryside Books, 2002. 199 Fourth Fleet families of Australia, comp. and ed. by C. J. Smee. The Editor, 1992. 2915 Genealogical research directory, ed. by Keith A. Johnson & Malcolm R. Sainty. The Editors, 1999-2003, 2006. 2926 The Genealogist’s question and answer book, by Marcia Yannizze Melnyk. Betterway Books, 2002. 2931 Haynes internet genealogy manual, by Kyle MacRae. Haynes Publishing, 2005. 2932 Help! My ancestors Irish and I’m stuck!!!! By Janet Reakes. Australia’s Immigration and Family History Centre, 1997. 2927 How to find shipping and immigration records in Australia, by Cora Num. 4th ed. The Author, 2000. 2930 How to trace your military ancestors in Australia & New Zealand, by R. H. Montague. Hale & Iremonger, 1989. 2922 Meet your ancestors, by Diane Marelli. How to books, 2003. 2736 Pre-1841 censuses & population listings, by Colin R. Chapman. Lochin Publishing, 1990. 144 Ships’ deserters 1852-1900, by Jim Melton. The Editor, n.d. 635 The Third Fleet convicts, by R. J. Ryan. Horwitz Grahame, 1983 2790 Tracing your family history in Australia: a guide to sources, by Nick Vine Hall. Scriptorium Family History Centre, 1994. 3015 Tracing your Irish ancestors: the complete guide, by John Grenham. 3rd ed. Genealogical Publishing, 2006. 2920 Tracing your past, by Lesley Silvester and Mike Murray. Time Trackers, 2002. 2934 Your Swedish roots, by Per Clemensson & Kjell Andersson. Ancestry Publishing, 2004.

  • March 2019 Meeting

    By Sue Ballantyne, March 2019

    Join us for our next meeting on Friday March 29 2019 at 1.15pm at Greenhills Neighbourhood House, Community Drive Greensborough.

    Historian Jim Poulter will join us to discuss two topics : "Are all our Major Roads really Songlines?" And "Robert Robson’s adventure with John Batman" Jim joined us once before to speak on the location of the signing of Batman's treaty with the Aborigines, and this talk is again sure to start conversations among our members. All members and visitors are most welcome. The talk will be followed by afternoon tea.

More articles >>

Meeting Dates

Dates for 2019: The Society meets once per month. General Meetings are held on alternate Fridays ('odd' months, starting January - except for 2019 due to Australia Day holiday) and the informal forums are held on the alternate Saturday ('even' months, starting February) at Greenhills Neighbourhood Centre: Community Drive, off St Helena Road. Meetings begin at 1.15pm. Any changes to the venue, dates or times will posted on this site so please check regularly before the meeting date. All members and visitors are most welcome to attend these informative and friendly meetings. The History Resource Centre is open on Thursdays between 10:00am and 3:00pm., and on selected weekends at corner of Glenauburn and Para Road, Lower Plenty 3093. In 2019, Thursdays will resume on January 17th. Committee meetings for 2019: Wednesday: 16/01, 20/02, 20/03, 17/04, 15/05, 19/06, 17/07, 14/08, 18/09, 16/10, 20/11. Contact Noel or other Committee members with your suggestions for activities or projects. Meeting dates for 2019: All held at Greenhills Neighbourhood House, Community Drive, Greensborough, commencing at 1.15pm. Check on home page for updates on speakers and activities 23/02/19 Saturday 1.15pm 29/03/19 Friday 1.15pm 27/04/19 Saturday 1.15pm 24/05/19 Friday 1.15pm 29/06/19 Saturday 1.15pm 26/07/19 Friday 1.15pm 31/08/19 Saturday 1.15pm 20/09/19 Friday 1.15pm - AGM (moved to avoid Grand Final Eve public holiday) 26/10/19 Saturday 1.15pm Heritage Meeting 29/11/19 Friday 1.15 pm Christmas Meeting SOCIAL MORNING TEAS 2019: Held on Tuesday morning, this is a social occasion, not a formal meeting. All members and guests are welcome. Generally held near Muffin Break on the top level of Greensborough Plaza. Tuesday 12/02, 09/04, 11/06, 13/08, 08/10, 10/12. OPEN DAYS AT THE RESOURCE CENTRE 2019: Open Days for 2019: 09/02/19 (Saturday), 14/04/19 (Sunday), 08/06/19 (Saturday), 11/08/19 (Sunday) and 12/10/19 (Saturday). Hours are 1.00pm to 4.00pm. The Resource Centre at Glenauburn Road Lower Plenty is open every Thursday (10am - 3pm) .

Full Meeting Schedule >>

Membership Information

The Greensborough Historical Society always welcomes new members and visitors to its meetings and functions. If your interests are historical, heritage or family history, you are welcome to join us. Membership is another valued contribution to help the Society record the districts history and heritage and we hope you will join with us to contribute your time, knowledge and skills in the many activities and projects the Society undertakes and promotes.

More Information >>

Request For Help

  • Local Information and Photos

    Huitt's Tearooms, now the site of Safeway Greensborough
    Main Street Greensborough

    Here at Greensborough Historical Society we are always looking for information and photos of the area in days gone by. If you or your family lived in Greensborough, Watsonia, Macleod, Montmorency, Lower Plenty or Bundoora, we'd love to hear from you! We can scan photos and return the originals to you, or you could email digital photos to If you are interested in sharing your story through an oral history interview, please contact the Society. We look forward to hearing from you.

    I may be able to help with this >>

More help needed >>